Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Detour





Just when I think I am finally on my way without any hick-ups, guess what! I lost my gloves and a petrol cap. Ironically today was the first time I actual missed my gloves, my hands were like ice blocks, but we will get to that in due course. I was up bright and early and spent about an hour on my other blog, the morning was quiet and peaceful except for the occasional cock of the rooster, no doubt the same rooster who captured my attention the last time I was a guess in Hobhouse. There is just something about getting up early on a regular basis, it somehow revitalizes giving me that get up and go feeling, and that is without any breakfast crunch. The sun rising speaks volumes, and books have been written as the authors endeavor to capture either in a novel o r with some flowing poetry, the essence of daybreak. How great is my God, how vast His wide domain, to begin to tell these lips can only start.



By 7.30am I was packed and my bags were strapped in position on Hope. My Ktm was now ready to venture SE. I much prefer the setup of my GPS as it now always looks to travel on sand roads. This morning was great and I loved the ride, but before long I found myself behind a locked gate. I am not sure that is legal especially if the road I was on was a public road; I realize it was more like a track than a road but nevertheless after having negotiated a somewhat technical traverse it was rather disappointing not to be able to press on.

I got off the bike with my Leatherman in hand and I found myself glaring at the barbed wire fence, yes no, yes no, no yes flashed through my mind. Just kidding, I would never consider cutting through the fence even if they had padlocked a public road. To add salt to the injury I had put my helmet on the ground, to find it covered with those vicious ants with massive pinchers. Eventually, after cleaning out my helmet and wrestling the bike back to an upright position I was on my way up the hill to notice that I was not wearing any gloves. Back down again I went to no avail, I found no gloves, who knows where I had them last. I am now convinced that my short term memory is being affected by my anti-retroviral medication. It has taken almost 10 years but it is now affecting my nerve endings I am convinced of it.

The detour was a costly one as I drove in circles with a confused GPS sending me round and round the merry-go-round. It was still great and enjoyable, mountains all around with open meadows on either side of me. I eventually made it back to the tar to get my bearings and ended up having lunch at Lady Grey. After Lunch I decided to head further south, I was in two minds whether to go along the tricky pass and advised not to if there had been rain, it has been raining. But before I could give it much thought I was on my way with my Garmin leading the way. I soon left the tar road and made my way along a river on a narrow sand road, it was very pretty. If the weather had been a little friendlier I may have hung my hammock and force a power nap, it never happened. A little later after filling up I was still deciding on what direction to take, when I notice one of my petrol caps missing and rain was threatening, all I needed now was water and petrol in one of my tanks. A plastic bag and a pull-tie will have to do for now. Tomorrow I will have to head towards East London, I am sure there must be a number of bike shops there and hopefully getting a replacement cap won’t be another Ben Hur. It is about 330 km from where I have held up for the night. I was hoping to find a B&B somewhere after Elliot, but the wind up and over the mountain was double yesterday’s strength and the mist was so thick I could hardly see 10m in front of me. With a tissue in one hand I was wiping my goggles and with the other accelerating up over the hill, my hands where like blocks of frozen ice, while I tried to steady myself against the wind. The Lord was gracious as I keyed in B&B lodging and all I need now was to negotiate the conditions for another 6km or so, stopping was not an option as I would have had someone probably drive into the back of me. The hot bath was most welcome, so much for my slumming it; I have a cozy room with supper waiting. I am not complaining as the luxury was most welcomed after my military basis training re-run up the hill, fighting against the elements.

Until tomorrow

Signing off

Tyrone

No comments:

Post a Comment